VENUE: YOUR OWN HOMES
START TIME: You Choose
COST: Various but about £2-£5
CREATE YOUR OWN TALKIES MINI FILM CLUB
If you are already using Zoom, Skype or any other online meeting software, you can set up your own film club with a group of friends. They don’t even need to live in the UK!
For the last 18 years the group of friends that set up Talkies Cinema have been meeting once a month for a social occasion based around film. The lockdown saw an end to all that…. until a few weeks ago, when we trialled an online version. We now have a film twice a month, meet up online afterwards and we are really enjoying it! Whilst definitely not the same as the real thing, it is great for us to keep the group going and talk to each other about something not related to C-19!
HOW TO GET GOING:
- Something on which you can watch the selected film ….laptop, desktop, tablet, TV etc
- We recommend watching on a TV with internet or a device (phone, tablet, laptop) that you can link to your TV
- An online meeting platform that your group will use. We use Zoom, but Skype, FaceTime, House Party and others are available.
SELECT A FILM
- If you all have Netflix, just use that to start or….
- You could use the ‘Talkies Replay’ ideas to start out – we keep adding to these so yo will have a bunch to watch or….
- We have found that Just Watch is the best place to find rental and purchase options
- Netflix, Amazon Prime, MUBI etc are OK, but everyone needs to be subscribing.
- We recommend films less that 2 hours – you will see why in the next step
PICK A DATE FOR YOUR FILM CLUB
- Each person in the club takes a their turn to select a film, taking account of the guidelines above on selecting a film.
- We have found that choosing a date makes us all do it together virtually
- Set up an online meeting after the film to see your friends and talk about the film and anything else except C-19! We recommend finishing the film about 9.30 so you can meet 15 minutes later
TELL US WHAT HAPPENS:
- Please tell us if you are going to set up a club.
- We can’t really give you technical backup, but if you are really stuck we might be able to give you some hints and tips
- We look forward to meeting you again in person ….